Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Labor Story

Some people have asked for the “Labor Story”, so here it is. I will try to keep it brief, but it was a day and a half.

The plan was to going into the hospital on the night of October 11th to be induced, but Zarley had other plans. I woke at about 3:30 a.m. on the 11th with some cramping. By 4:00 I had timed the cramping to be every ten minutes. At about 5:30 my water broke. I went up and told Jeremy that we were having the baby. He said, “I know.” And I said, “No, we are having the baby now.” That got him out of bed and moving. While he worked on getting some last minute things done, I ate breakfast (my last real meal for over a day) and called the hospital. We got to U of M hospital about 7:30 and were admitted. I was in back labor all day, and because of my blood thinners, I couldn’t get my epidural until 7:00 p.m. So it was a long day. Around 1:00 p.m., the doctor started me on Pitocin to help move the labor along. Then at 6:45, I reminded the nurses that I could have my epidural in 15 minutes. Once that was in, everything got a lot easier. At wasn’t until about 3:30 a.m. on the 12th that I was ready to push. In the late morning, my doctor offered me a C-Section and other forms of help, but since I still had energy to push I decided not to do that. Then, when I was running out of energy, my doctor decided to use the vacuum to help Zarley out into the world. He arrived at 1:26 p.m.

It was a long day and a half but it was worth it for our beautiful baby boy.

No comments: